We all strive for happiness and joy in our lives. Many of you probably think achievements such as marriage, education or financial status can make you happy.
However, studies show that achievements have little to do with our sense of happiness. For many of us, this happiness remains an unattainable goal.
More often that not, the simple things in life bring us the most joy and happiness. When you tune into the simple things that give joy your body and spirit can excite you and make you truly feel happy. Here are 10 Simple Tips to Live a Happy Life
1) Write a list of simple things that make you happy. Do this a few times a week and review your list on a regular basis. This reinforces all the good in your life and changes negative brain patterns into positive ones.
2) Get your body in motion!! Exercise boosts all sorts of health-promoting chemicals in the brain life serotonin, dopamine's and norepinephrine, that reduce the effects of stress and can relieve symptoms of depression.
3)Eat Light and Eat Right! Remember that old saying "you are what you eat" well, it's absolutely true! Now you aren't going to turn into last nights asparagus but eating unprocessed foods can leave your body primed and brain focused leaving you a blissful state. Eating processed foods can make you feel fatigued, gain weight and cause chronic disease. So fill your body with unprocessed whole foods that you smiling!
4) Talk less and listen more.
Talking less and listening more can help improve your communication skills. Listening allows you to soak in the wisdom of others and allows you to quiet your mind and really focus on the conversation at hand.
5) Get some SUNSHINE! Yes! The rays beaming down outdoors help you produce a vital vitamin, Vitamin D. Getting outside and getting some sunshine for 10-15 minutes a day can be just enough for your body to get enough vitamin D. If you are out for longer than 10-15 minutes make sure you use sun protection so you don't burn.
6) Tun off the TV
Get off the couch and get moving. Watching TV has a major impact on your brain chemistry and allows your brain to go into a passive mode, with messages streaming into your brain without any participation from you. Watching TV also makes us want to snack on those calorie laden processed foods that cause weight gain and chronic disease. So, limit your TV intake, meditate, read a book, or go outside and get some exercise.
7) Enjoy Nature
Go for a hike or start a back yard garden. Kick your shoes off and dig your toes into the dirt. Spending time in nature is great for your mental health. Take in the oxygen from the trees and plants around you and breathe…
8) Express Gratitude
People who are grateful for what they have can cope with stress better and have overall positive emotions. One way to do this is to have a journal and write down all the things you are grateful for.
9) Laugh!! Laughing causes your body to release pleasure inducing chemicals called endorphins, that contribute to your overall well-being and can reduce stress.
10) Get adequate, good quality sleep
Everyone runs a little differently and requires a different amount of sleep to feel fully functional throughout the day. Also, when you get enough sleep you eat less which can have beneficial effects on your weight.